Thinking about getting a tummy tuck? If so, I’m sure you know that the procedure improves the appearance of the abdomen by removing excess skin that can often remain after pregnancy or other significant weight loss. But many tummy tuck patients at our Alpharetta, Roswell, and Woodstock, GA, practices aren’t aware of the unexpected benefits of abdominoplasty.
Some of these benefits have been known for years, such as the repair of certain abdominal muscles that can be separated by pregnancy. But other benefits have been the subject of recently published research that confirms anecdotal experiences of tummy tuck patients. Because abdominoplasty is already one of the most satisfying procedures (it earned a 96% “Worth It” rating on RealSelf), these unexpected benefits are indeed a bonus.
Let’s take a closer look at these benefits:
- Treat diastasis recti: Why is this important? For moms frustrated that they can’t get rid of the post-baby pooches even though they spend hours working out and doing crunches, repairing the condition responsible for those bellies is certainly a benefit of a tummy tuck. This condition can also be linked to post-pregnancy urinary incontinence, which I mention below.
- Reduce back pain and improved posture: Weakened core muscles, which often occur after pregnancy or other major weight loss, cause back muscles to overcompensate and lead to lower back pain. Because tummy tuck surgery tightens the abdominal muscles and helps strengthen the core, it can also improve your posture and reduce back pain. A study published earlier this year in Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery® revealed the link between tummy tucks and decreased back pain.
- Reduce urinary incontinence: The same study mentioned above also showed that tummy tuck surgery helped women who suffer from a weak bladder caused by having children or aging. The “pee-when-you-sneeze” leaking that can occur often improves after a tummy tuck procedure.
- Correct ventral hernias: Abdominal hernias occur when there’s weakness in the muscle wall, causing intestinal organs to push through and create a bulge around the area of the belly button. It’s common to combine a tummy tuck with hernia repair, a safe and cost-effective surgery. Having both procedures done at the same time means patients only have to recover from one surgery.
- Help maintain weight loss: Patients who get tummy tucks after weight-loss surgery are more likely to maintain their new body contours if they have plastic surgery to remove excess skin. A tummy tuck and other body contouring procedures often can be combined, depending on the extent of surgery needed.
As you can see, the benefits of a tummy tuck are not limited to a slimmer stomach, although that is a wonderful benefit that can help improve a person’s confidence. I can answer all of your questions about abdominoplasty during a personal consultation, which you can request using the online form. Or call one of our offices at (404) 476-8774 (Alpharetta), (770) 954-8406 (Roswell), or (678) 737-4612 (Woodstock) to schedule an appointment.