5 Tips for Eyelid Surgery
Posted on August 13, 2018
By: Dr. Asaf Yalif
I thoroughly enjoy performing eyelid surgery at my Atlanta and Alpharetta GA, practices for a few reasons. First, the men and women who come in for eyelid surgery are often extremely excited to have the procedure and make a change for the better. Second, the technical aspects of the procedure are satisfying to me as a surgeon. And third, this surgery requires using a good sense of aesthetics to create the appealing results that meet the patient’s goals.
Eyelid surgery, also called blepharoplasty, is consistently one of the most popular plastic surgery procedures performed in the U.S., according to statistics from the American Society of Plastic Surgeons (ASPS). To make sure you get quality results, you should follow these 5 steps:
- Find the right doctor. OK, that’s true of any procedure. It’s also important to make sure the surgeon you choose is certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery (ABPS). Why is that important? Because any medical doctor can perform cosmetic surgery, but board-certified plastic surgeons complete years of training specifically focused on plastic surgery. In addition to being board-certified, the surgeon should be experienced in performing eyelid surgery. Many surgeons focus on body contouring or breast augmentation and rarely perform facial plastic surgery. Read reviews written by actual patients and look at a surgeon’s gallery of before-and-after photos before making your choice.
- Be open and honest with your surgeon. It’s completely normal to be nervous during the consultation and pre-op appointments. Because of that, it can be helpful to write down any questions or concerns you might have so that you don’t forget to ask them. Plastic surgeons expect questions and should be able to answer anything you ask.
- Have realistic expectations. One of the great things about eyelid surgery is that you’ll still look like yourself, but more refreshed and youthful. The procedure doesn’t change the structure of your eyes. Expect your friends and co-workers to say things like, “Did you get a haircut?” or “you look so relaxed.”
- Follow your surgeon’s instructions. I provide my patients with detailed post-op instructions that help make their recoveries go as quickly and comfortably as possible. That includes not wearing makeup for 1 week and contact lenses for 2 weeks after the procedure. It’s also important to sleep with the head elevated during the recovery period and to avoid any strenuous activities during the first few days after the surgery.
- Be patient. Waiting is the hardest part. It’s difficult to be patient while waiting to see the final results of the procedure. Expect some swelling in the area around the eyes during the first several days of the recovery. A positive attitude really helps, but I encourage all of my patients to call with any concerns they might have.
The risk of complications following eyelid surgery is very low, but by following these 5 tips you’ll have an excellent chance of getting the results you desire. You can see real patient before-and-after outcomes in our photo gallery.
To find out more about how you can benefit from eyelid surgery, request a consultation using our online form. You can also call one of our offices at (404) 476-8774 (Alpharetta & Atlanta) to schedule an appointment.